NOT YET MY POEM BY DEMILADE OYELAKUN

NOT YET MY POEM

(To those who suffer unrequited love)

 

Like Jacinto, this is not yet my poem

It is my mild venom

At an unsteady mind, a thing of shame.

The world is deaf; the world is deaf to my grief

Yet unperturbed you act to burning desire.

I hoped for murmurs to make music

I waited for the breeze to sing a song

Your firm impressions linger in memory

(The cleric's cap, the bulging eyes and

The smile that could halt the Trojan War

The endearing disposition) passes between lips

An unwanted synthesis of honey and vinegar*

But I am Me, no rain from bays of eyes

The canines will cease to make noise and

Then there will be a calm storm and

Also Somnus'** failure revealed again

I cannot forget your refined grace!

 

*A sour-tasting condiment and preservative

** In Roman mythology, the god of sleep; may also be used to represent forgetfulness.

Share this post

Post a comment

:ambivalent:
:angry:
:confused:
:content:
:cool:
:crazy:
:cry:
:embarrassed:
:footinmouth:
:frown:
:gasp:
:grin:
:heart:
:hearteyes:
:innocent:
:kiss:
:laughing:
:minifrown:
:minismile:
:moneymouth:
:naughty:
:nerd:
:notamused:
:sarcastic:
:sealed:
:sick:
:slant:
:smile:
:thumbsdown:
:thumbsup:
:wink:
:yuck:
:yum:

Next Post
Newer Post
Previous Post
Older Post