By Marie Nieves
Let’s just say it, I am not a typical housewife, and it’s tough to get me to pick up a broom every day. However, the scientific research and my personal experience match in this: cleaning can be therapeutic, at least when you get started with it. Although I usually fail to administer this medicine, it might be a good thing to finally introduce it as a part of my standard daily routine. We all need to clear our head at some point, and this is the doubly beneficial solution. Here’s our checklist of the areas you could tackle in your washing spree.
Motivation
It’s all nice and smooth when you actually have the will and enthusiasm to pick yourself up and do some house work on a regular basis. The truth is, a majority of people I know (including myself) struggle with the basic element, and that’s the very first step. Much like in the statement of Woody Allen’s Eighty percent of success is showing up, getting yourself to begin with cleaning is the essential part.
For me, music does the trick in every situation. I put on my headphones while I’m washing the dishes, vacuuming or folding the washed clothes. More often than not, I bust some sick dance moves like the butler Niles from “The Nanny” and forget that I’m cleaning in the first place. The key is to forget your worries and just enjoy the moment.
Physical betterment
As a scientific background, I present the results of the Indian University based study that worked with the premise that tidier home lead to fitter bodies, in every sense. It appears that the city setting had little to do with the state of subjects’ body and mind, unlike the very indoor space they were living in. The group of 998 African-American examinees aged from 49-65 showed that the ones who took care of their body, took care of their homes too.
Consequently, these activities lead to lowered risks of suffering from cardiovascular disease, and overall healthier organism. Those living in apartment buildings and feel disinclined to get out and workout may seek relief in the comfort of their own home, cleaning.
Another positive front of the sweeping business is the calorie burn. A long time ago when I started with my fitness regime, I discovered a neat chart calculator that lists majority of activities around the house and shows the number of calories we could oust with it. Also, by engaging in any physical activity, we strengthen our muscles and initiate endorphins release.
Mental Health
The housework menagerie doesn’t only promote physical aptness, but it decidedly affects our mental state as well. A fitter body we may gain can improve our self-image and boost our self-confidence to repeat it day after day. Since many people go by the “Seeing is believing” motto, washing and cleaning can produce just the proof of time well spent and instil a sense of accomplishment.
I know I feel much better even when I just make the beds or dust the living room surfaces (that’s the room in which I spent most of my day). On the other hand, when piles of clothes get forgotten due to some lazy bout or freelancing obligations, I tend to get jittery and uncomfortable and that can distract me or aggravate the previously built-up stress.
Actual chores
I consulted the people working at the Inner West cleaning services and they provided me with some handy advice on how to sweep the house fast and in effective manner: do it as often as you could - less dirt means less work. Next, do the vacuuming prior to dusting, as particles may fly around and ruin our efforts. Lastly, mop the floor afterwards to wipe out the persistent blotches.
Here’s the ultimate home chores checklist to have at hand:
- Vacuum and sweep
- Scrub the floors if necessary
- Do laundry
- Wash the dishes
- Cook your meals (healthy and therapeutic)
- Rake the leaves (outdoor but house-related)
- Mow the lawn (same as above)
Just thinking about these makes me feel exhausted. Still, sometimes the body needs to get tired for the brain to get a good rest.
Photo sources:




