Ferdinand pays tribute to late wife as he hangs international boots.



Former Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand has called it quits with football. The former ‎England captain made the announcement in an interview today.


The 39 year-old QPR player thanked his wife, Rebecca whom he lost 4 weeks ago to cancer for supporting him throughout his career.   



"After 18 years as a professional footballer I now feel it's the right time for me to retire from the game that I love. As a 12-year-old boy, kicking around a football on the Friary Estate in Peckham, I never dreamt that I would play for my boyhood club West Ham, captain Leeds United, win the Champions League with Manchester United, or re-join my first manager Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers.




"I will always regard the 81 times that I played for England, with immense pride. These are all treasured memories that will last a lifetime."




"I'd also like to thank and pay tribute to my late wife Rebeccaand my family, including my mother and father, for their sacrifices, their encouragement and their advice throughout my career. And finally, I'd like to thank all the fans from all the clubs, for without them professional football would not exist. I will miss each and every one of you on my Saturday afternoons."‎ He said
 

Share this post

Post a comment

:ambivalent:
:angry:
:confused:
:content:
:cool:
:crazy:
:cry:
:embarrassed:
:footinmouth:
:frown:
:gasp:
:grin:
:heart:
:hearteyes:
:innocent:
:kiss:
:laughing:
:minifrown:
:minismile:
:moneymouth:
:naughty:
:nerd:
:notamused:
:sarcastic:
:sealed:
:sick:
:slant:
:smile:
:thumbsdown:
:thumbsup:
:wink:
:yuck:
:yum:

Next Post
Newer Post
Previous Post
Older Post